Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Foggo Wooded Chardonnay 2004

Wine: Foggo Wooded Chardonnay
Type: Chardonnay
Year: 2004
Price: $10
Date: 18/12/2010
Reason for purchase: On the winery tour back in 2009.

Review: This is the savior of Chardonnay as we know it. Wooded Chardonnay is a complex beast, with most people I speak to, including rather experienced wine drinkers, all seeming to dislike wooded whites preferring the crisper fresh tastes of steel fermentation and more acid and zing. I on the other hand prefer mellow whites, with body and character which this wine has in abundance.

Our first trip down to Foggo opened my eyes to this style of white that was a staple before the glut of Sauvignon Blanc, and I was lucky enough to have a side by side tasting of their wooded and unwooded variety to compare. My favourite was this one, with beautiful oaky mellowness, creamy yet fruity. It's just a wine that keeps on giving having been aged for 4 or 5 years on oak, it has developed an amazing flavour without the tartness or acid of cheap whites.

Yet another wine that I wish I had bought more of, as they sell out of each vintage rather quickly. I have a couple of bottles of the 2005 left which I will review in the future.


Rating: 8/10 -DF-

No comments:

Post a Comment